Sunday, March 05, 2006

Enough


I've never seen The Last Temptation of Christ or read the book. But, while at APU I sat in on a seminar where Matt Ringe, a professor, talked about it and other movies as tools for apologetics. Anyway, I don't remember any of what he said except for one thing about this book/movie.

The Bible says that Jesus underwent every kind of temptation. Anything that might tempt us is something that Jesus understands and conquered. According to this professor The Last Temptation of Christ portrays Jesus' biggest temptation as the desire for a normal life.

I found myself asking God for that very thing today. I want a normal life: a meaningful job, a great marriage, enough close friends, safety, security... I look at my life and realize that I'm very blessed. So blessed that I know I don't need or deserve most of what I have and experience. But, it's funny that there's always one more thing that would make it perfect. Lord, if you will just take care of this one thing, my normal life will be complete.

But, thinking about what that professor said about that movie makes me realize that the desire for a normal life is a temptation, not a holy desire. When Jesus asks us if we want to follow him, he doesn't lead us down the wide path of normality. He calls us to take the narrow path of discipleship that at times may only be wide enough for you...a lonely path.

The song that has been inspiring me away from envying that one last thing goes like this:

All of you
is more than enough for
all of me
for every thirst and
every need
You satisfy me
with your love
All I have in you
is more than enough

1 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Peach said...

I was looking through blogs and found yours. I saw that you went to APU, so did I. I liked what you had to say about being challanged beyond the "normal" life.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home