Friday, September 28, 2007

A new challenge

Last Tuesday I had another midwife appointment. She asked me about cravings. Have I had any? Well, just for sweets, but that's not any different than my prepregnancy days. She follows that with, "Are you giving in to those cravings?" Yeah, I am, but not as much as before. She suggests that I start to fulfill those cravings with other sweet things like fruit and stuff. I guess sugar makes tissue less elastic. So, if you refrain from sugar, you have a greater chance of not tearing during delivery.

Hmmmm... That's a toughy. Sweets versus owy tearing. I decided to try a fast from sweets until the baby is born. It'll be good for me because even though I have cut down on sweets I probably still eat more than the average Joe. I started my fast after we had the Richey's over for one last 'smores indulgence.

Wednesday was my first full day without sweets. I honestly thought about it all day. In the evening I became really frustrated. My true ugly feelings are, "What fun is life without sweets?" Man, I think I'm actually addicted to this stuff. Does a normal person really get mad when they can't have a cookie? Yesterday I did a lot better. Slowly but surely I will lose my taste for sweets...hopefully.

This morning I was reading Colossians and was struck with how heavenly focused Paul is and expects his readers to be. In chapter three he encourages us to set our mind on things above, not on earthly things. We died and our life is now hidden in Christ. Christ is our life. I felt very earthly reading these verses, and yet I was inspired to practice setting my mind on things above. Then I thought about my battle with sweets. I think this is going to be a perfect exercise in getting my mind off of earthly things. If I think that life is no fun without sweets, I obviously have some work to do in finding my life completely in God.

Don't think I'm all holy and sweets are the only earthly thing I need to work on. It's just the one in the foreground for me right now consuming my every thought! It's a good opportunity for me to let God transform me.

Maybe we need to revisit this picture to convince you of my addiction...

7 Comments:

Blogger bobby said...

Don't want to ruin the whole geting unaddicted to sweets thing, so ignore me if this isn't helpful. Just thought I'd throw out another idea to you.

While Rachel and I wer dieting, it was a lot about no sugars and stuff. Rachel LOVES her sweets too. What we did get was sugar free fudgsicles and popsicles. Provided a good dessert without the sugar resulting in fat...errr...tearing.

Kinda like the patch or nicorette for smokers I guess. ;)

11:49 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

That's a great idea...except I can't have sugar substitutes while pregnant. And, I'm sure those sugarfree deserts have something sweetening them up. Bummer. I guess it's back to the fasting.

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leah... there is still time to learn the art of mango-eating...

No pressure :)

Blessings In Christ Sis

3:07 PM  
Blogger bobby said...

Oops. Sorry.

Been over a year now. I can't quite keep up with what you can and can't have when pregnant. Sorry. I tried.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok so this is coming from a mom of three. And with my first pregnancy I was ridged with my diet and the things I did and did not due. (like most moms) anyhow, although I value health and making the best healthy decisions for you and your baby, I think that there are just some things that dont matter. If you dont know this already you are going to be pushing a large baby out of you. So you probably will tear. I tore both babies and that is that last thing you think about when after you deliver. Yeah you are kinda sore but your body is exhausted your boobs are on fire and when you add a little soreness it just adds to the list. All I am trying to say is that a little treat now and then is not going to make a gigantic difference. i love you . H

6:03 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Yeah, I know that most people do tear. But, I have a friend who just had a baby, and she didn't tear at all. So, I know there's hope. And, I am going allow myself a sweet every now and then, but right now sweets are a huge part of my everyday life. I don't think that's good even when you're not pregnant.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Erik and Bet said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3OSoBFzhLI&NR=1
Could this make things more fun? For some reason, I saw it and thought of you. Might be the correlation to jowler also...
Miss you!

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home