Saturday, September 29, 2007

Another way

Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things. - Col 3:2

That's the verse that I wrote about yesterday when talking about sweets and how fasting from them is one way for me to do that. Today I discovered one more way.

I was thinking about the children in Cambodia who are sold into the sex trade to be raped repeatedly everyday of their lives. I wanted to pray for them again. But, it's has been a couple weeks since I first read my friend's encounter with the sex trade. In such a short time, my heart wasn't feeling broken anymore. I still know it is horrible and evil definitely needing prayer, but the actual feelings of empathy were fading.

However, I had a couple of newsletters in my inbox from AIM in Cambodia who does the ministry of loving on these girls after they are rescued. I also had a newsletter from Carole Vezey who is in Uganda spreading the light of Christ to those traumatized by torture, war, and brutalities we could not imagine. I sat down and read these newsletters.

My heart was broken all over again. I went into my bedroom and prayed with a renewed compassion and a deeper understanding of God's breaking heart. So, my discovery is that I need to be constantly reading newsletters from people who are on the front lines seeing the things that my earthly surroundings keep me from knowing. It keeps my heart in step with God's and sets my mind on things above. How can I think my worldly schedule is so important when my mind is brought to the heavenlies, feeling a bit of what God feels and joining him in battle?

If you want to be reading reminders of God's heart, I recommend these websites. Get on their newletter list so that you can hear more detailed stories.

AIM
Favor of God
Safari Yangu
International Justice Mission

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quality Post & Links Leah!.. in Him, may we never tire of Love.

Blessings In Christ Sis

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the encouragement you gave me thursday night. i have just been reminding myself over and over that waiting is good for me and just hanging on to that! =) thanks leah have a lovely couple days til I see you again =)

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading the book "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn and been focused on Heaven and the New Earth. Thanks for sharing the verse.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home