Monday, March 27, 2006

Imagine


Today I was sitting outside enjoying the sunshine and noticed a pretty purple flower next to me. This may seem odd, but the flower reminded me of a class I took at APU. The class was called Christianity and the Creative Process. My professor challenged us to rediscover our imagination and begin to use art and creativity as a main vessel for communication, life, comprehension...not just for expression when you're feeling artsy.

She made us write mission statements for our lives for how we would use the arts to live life. I haven't been able to find mine in our too-full closets, but I remember what I decided. My mission was to bring life to people through art. So many people lack life. I can think of several right now who when I look into their eyes, I see no life. What I mean by life is life abundant--the only real life given by Christ. I don't even mean just salvation. I mean showing people what comes after salvation. Life.

I've always wanted to be overseas on the mission field. So, my idea was to be in other countries and capture the life that I saw there and bring it home to show the people here, to share their story. Also, when I'm overseas, to bring understanding of life by helping people make their own art, people who don't get to experience it much--orphans, the oppressed, etc.

Thinking about it again makes me very excited to actually fulfill what I decided my artistic mission should be. Rob and I will hopefully have that opportunity this summer. Our hope, dream, and "plan" is to visit some Sandals missionaries in Central Asia and Qatar. We want to love them, support them, bring love from Sandals, and take their story home by the art that we capture there.

I'm certain that God is going to bring us on this trip despite any obstacle that may come up. Pray that God would make a way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home