Thursday, June 14, 2007

Old people revisited

I went to the women's retreat last weekend at our church. It made me think about a couple of things. Right now I've been pursuing photography. I work for a wonderful and very talented photographer and I am building my own business as well. It hasn't been completely consuming my heart and mind, but it's definitely what I do at least half of the available hours.

On Saturday the pastor's wives were challenging us to examine our personality, passions, skills, and how that should relate to our mission in life. As I ran through the many exercises, I realized that one of my hugest passions is seeing the oppressed have justice. One subset of the oppressed is the elderly - in my opinion. I think they're oppressed in that they are forgotten, unrespected, unloved, pushed aside, and hidden away.

So, those were some interesting re-revelations. I'm not quite sure how this all fits with what my life has become and where it's going. All I want to know is: do we ever stop wondering what we're going to do when we grow up? Sheesh! I sure hope I get to the end of that question very soon. I'm ready to pursue some defined mission.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your title relays an Important message, 'old people need to be Revisited.' Like the widows & orphans, older people are also often neglected.

Keep visiting them Leah, there is nothing like it...I often find old people to be the best natural comedians :)

Since G-d wants us to Love others as we want to be Loved, we (christians/people) have an obligation to Care for the elderly. After all, G-d Sustaining Life, we are all getting older.

Having been at bedside before others physical passed away, I have noticed something...whether materially rich or poor, in the end, all they wanted near their bedsides was the presence of Loved ones.

Love is where It is at... keep pouring it out Leah.

Blessings In Christ Sis

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an awesome passion for the "least of these." The "Church" has not emphasized Matthew 25:31-45 nearly enough. But it's not enough just to do it. The doing has to come from an irrepressible passion like yours.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Battle Maiden said...

Hey, maybe you could spend some time with my Grandma. She is driving my parents crazy in Sun City. I wish I could be there with her planting and pruning roses. Miss you MS. Vis!

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home