Monday, April 16, 2007

Virginia Tech

My heart broke today hearing about what happened. I actually felt like throwing up listening to the details of the tragedy.

I've been thinking about it. I've been thinking about the strangeness of the United States. Even with the news of what happened, I still feel safe going to the grocery store or walking to my car. Isn't that weird? It's weird because the fear and pain that people are feeling today over in Virginia is felt everyday in places like Northern Uganda. When something extremely tragic happens in that country, countless other extremely tragic things are happening simultaneously just miles away. And, they'll probably happen tomorrow.

I sometimes feel like I live in this strange, unreal Pleasantville. I hurt for those people, here in the States and all over the world. But, as I sit here, safe and content, I know that I have a huge responsibility. I can't only enjoy it, I should be active in the midst of it...active to help those who can't help themselves.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right. We are so insulated from evil by technology. I truly believe that Satan encourages that insulation.

Once you know Africa everything changes. You can't believe what you hear people complaining about. Sometimes I want to shout, "What are you griping about! You have hot running water! You can read a book in the middle of the night if you want! You can sleep tonight without fearing that soldiers are going to break in and take your children to terror training camps! Get a grip!"

I gotta stop before I wind up into a thousand word rant.

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home