Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Life and Art...again


I always hope for my art to mean something. Someday I want to be able to cause people to hunger for life with my art. However, I've never been a good creator. I feel like my art is always copied, and that bugs me sometimes. I wish that I could just pull something out of my head and paint it. But, today I learned that even copied art can impact someone.

I was talking to my mom today, and she was telling me about my great Aunt Mable. She's 90 years old, has cancer, and can't see anymore. The other day she told my mom that she can't really remember any images of her sister (my grandma) except for this one painting I did of my grandma in high school.

All I did was take a photo of my grandma and paint it bigger, detail for detail, no creative interpretation...just straight rendering. But, that painting touched my Aunt Mable, and that's the only reminder that has remained in her memory of what her sister looks like.

I was so touched today - grateful to be a part of such a special memory.

Here's a quote that encourages me with art and being creative/original:

"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it."

-C.S. Lewis

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful story Leah & Thanks for that quote!

Blessings In Christ Sis

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that painting is awesome!

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that quote. Sometimes when I worry about originality I have to tell myself to just express what I want to say in whatever way I may feel led. Because I know everything has already been created. But I try to focus on recreating it in my own way.

9:21 AM  
Blogger JenniferKent said...

this is a beautiful post. it for sure made me cry a little. thanks for sharing, my dear!

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home