Thursday, September 14, 2006

Fragility


Sometimes when Rob and I are lying in bed, I'll be close enough to his neck that I can see his pulse. Whenever that happens, I'm always struck with how fragile the body is. We're kept alive by a living system that has nothing to keep it going but the calories and nutrients we give it? I'm definitely not an expert on the body and what keeps it going, but that is crazy. It's crazy that we depend on our heart, a lump of muscle that decides to keep pumping regularly.

When people die, we get sad and confused. Even though we all know it's going to happen and could fairly happen at any moment, there's just something in us that is opposed to it. We think it's wrong. That's interesting.

Right at this moment, I don't think it's weird when people die. I am thinking it's weird that people stay alive. How in the world does our mass of flesh keep our soul on this earth?

This convinces me that it's not really our bodies at all, but truly God who has control of it all. Duh, right? But, I don't think of it like that very often. Our bodies are amazing, but they're not capable of living. God breathed life and when it's time, he stops supplying the earthly part of it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

true dat!

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deeply profound, Leah. I have always felt the same way. To us, death is not a loss. But that's from the "forest" perspective. Even when we know it's temporary, we miss the relationship. It's that that we mourn more than the person.

I feel sad when a friend goes on a long trip or moves far away. It's hard when relationships change. For those of us in Christ, the sadness of death is hard for a little while because the relationship changes.

But we know it's all cool. 'Cause it's not over. It's just on "Pause."

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've thought about those things too. While just the other day I was thinking about the human eye and the layers it contains...strange thoughts I guess.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home