Thursday, August 21, 2008

Mommy and Abel

Let's see if you can go here with me. I'm not sure if this is something every mom feels or if I'm just a weirdo. So many times I look at Abel and have a smidge of disbelief that this is really my kid. Really? Am I a parent? This baby is all mine to raise and love? It happened again tonight. I had him in my arms and felt strangely like I didn't recognize him because of the craziness that this could all be real.

That is usually followed by the strangeness that when Abel looks at me, he has no doubts about reality. I'm his mommy and that's all he's known. Rob and I are his security. He wouldn't even think of us as security because his whole world is a rock of stability. He is more sure of my mommihood than I am.

Does this stop, or do you go through their whole lives being amazed that these are your kids, no kidding?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, I have three kids, one in first grade and my life revolves around them so much that days go by and I realized I have not brushed my teeth, I can't remember the last time I was alone. And believe it or not there are days where is sit dumbfounded that I am a mom. I am in shock sometimes. So my answer is it never ends. At least for me. H

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could see how you would feel that way. I am shocked everytime I see you with Able too.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, not that i've been a mom for THAT long....but i don't think it ends. i look at him daily, sometimes numerous times a day, and think WOW he's mine? he came from me? God blessed me with him? he's so cool. he amazes me each day. i'm in awe all the time. i can totally relate and am in the boat with you. i marvel at the God i see in him. aren't we so blessed!

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your honesty :)

1:32 PM  
Blogger Battle Maiden said...

I agree with all coments...cried with B for one week. This grew in me? Especially, since he was 9.7 pounds. Now he is 3.5 years old. Strange, but real...

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm, mine are grown, and to be frank and honest, I thought I would have a hard time with the 'empty nest' thing...nope, not at all, as much as I love them, (we even homeschooled) I want to let them go and fly. Tho they have crashed a few times,I come back to the 'core'...I gave them to God, they are His and I cannot be worried about their choices. I think that is what I was most concerned about, their choices they would make as adults...I was hoping to give them the keys to making all the right choices...and to be even more honest...now I know how God feels....He looks down at me and shakes his head, and says, "Sue I gave you the tools, just please use them...but hey it is your journey Sue, I know you will learn"...I can never let my guard down in praying for them, even when the choices appear to be good...the amazement just changes with each stage of life...it is amazing that God lets us particiapte in creation and trusts us with such a treasure as a life.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Heidi Thompson said...

My kids are 6 & 8 and I think those kind of thoughts ALL the time.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home