Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What we learn

A couple years ago, I read a book called Walking On Water. It's about creativity and the arts. The author's theory is that all people are born creative. Then as we grow older, we are taught how to fear. As we master the art of fearing, our creativity starts to dwindle. Then you often end up with a person at 26 who wouldn't dare try to paint a picture or write a story. "It would be so stupid."

I'm starting to develop my own theory about walking with God. I know a lady who grew up very alone. However, she would take walks with Jesus and hang out with him in the mango trees. As a child, her intimacy with the Lord was more intense and real than most adults will ever experience in their maturity.

I think that if children were to grow up without outside influences, in a vacuum of sorts, they would all have that deep intimacy with Jesus that would last into adulthood. They would be people who could witness miracles, have visions, and see his glory day to day. Now, I know, we're all born sinful. But, pretend a child is introduced to Jesus and then just allowed to experience him as a child might - fearlessly, doubtlessly, full of life and wonder.

We learn how to fear. We learn how to proceed cautiously. That's good for some things in life. I would want a child to act that way around a rushing river, for example. But, how sad that it translates into how we approach Jesus. My friend, as a child, had the chance to sprint full speed ahead into the wild life with Jesus. She's still running faster than ever and knows him more than anyone else I can think of.

I think about these things as I wonder how to raise Abel. I hope that somehow I can let his child-like faith and imagination take him so close to our fascinating God. I hope I never train that abandonment out of him.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

one of the many reasons why I homeschool....:) thank you for reminding me of that today.....

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

walking on water. one of my favorite books.

Abel has a great chance of maintaining his wonder, because his mom has it still.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home