Monday, December 18, 2006

Closer to an insider

A couple days ago I got to visit with a couple of local ladies in their home. That was a blessing to get in on the culture and in on the people. When I'm in a foreign place, it's easy to make my own judgements about who these people are and what they're about. But, without actually meeting a person, it's hard to conclude anything more than that they're indeed different and too distant for me to understand.

I got to meet a middle-aged lady and her daughters. A couple of the daughters were about my age. Other than a few customs, a burdensome religion, and a lot of restrictions, they're just like me. They were funny, spunky, liked to have glamorous pictures taken, liked to be beautiful.

So, I leave their house amazed at how alike we are and completely in shock as well. In shock because how could someone just like me have such a different life? A life that they probably wouldn't choose for themselves, if they had the option.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed, sometimes as humans we use the reasoning of "we are too different" to ease out of communicating with each other, but there are more similarities between individuals of humanity than we may believe...maybe it is one of the things which scares us also. Dig-a-ble post Sis!

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! That's when it begins to become real. I will ask for many more experiences like this one...and lift up those women.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home