Sunday, November 05, 2006

It's Simple


Now this hits home, for most of us, I'm sure.

Again, I'm reading The Celebration of Discipline. In his chapter about simplicity, he brings up some very uncomfortable issues.

His whole point is that simplicity brings freedom. It must be inward and outward, and that way it skips the legalism tendancy.

But, he offers a couple of challenges for us to consider: Buy things for usefulness rather than their status. Consider your clothes. Most people have no need for more clothes. They buy more not because they need clothes, but because they want to keep up with the fashions. Wear your clothes until they are worn out. Stop trying to impress people with your clothes and impress them with your life.

Yeah, I didn't write that last part. I know you won't read it if I put it in quotes! But, now I'll be up front with you and give you some more quotes. Promise to read them though...

"One moment we make decisions on the basis of sound reason and the next moment out of fear of what others will think
of us."

"We are made to feel ashamed to wear clothes or drive cars until they are worn out."

"It is time we awaken to the fact that conformity to a sick society is to be sick."

"The modern hero is the poor boy who purposefully becomes rich rather than the rich boy who voluntarily becomes poor."

The clothes part is the hardest for me. I'm definitely not the person who is constantly buying new clothes, but lately I feel the pressure big time. When I have clothes that are older, I feel less confident. When I have a cute new outfit, I have the world at my finger tips. As I write that, I see the lie. It's so obviously backwards, but man the pressure is there and it's thick. That's a toughy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Overall it reminds me of the phrase, "Live for the audience of One(G-d)." This message is so important for "developed" nations to ingest.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well said, I like old cars, but will struggle with the clothes issue. Just the other day I stared into a closet full of clothes and thought, "I don't like any of these." Sad huh, I have to like them in order for them to "clothe" me.
nathan

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home