Monday, November 27, 2006

Sunday sermon on a Monday


Yesterday in church Neal preached about communion. One of the things that I'm going to take with me is the question, "Are you satisfied with Jesus?" Or, do I constantly want more...have my eye focused on that one thing? Yesterday that was inspring and encouraging because I do struggle with that one thing.

Yesterday - inspiring. Today - challenging and annoying. Yup, I got put to the test. I haven't succeeded yet either.

My thing is friends. You know, I really do believe that I've been blessed in the area of friendships. But, then there are a lot of times when I feel so lonely and just want more or just want them to...to satisfy I guess. It's hard to be satisfied with just Jesus when you appear so justified in your feelings, when your feelings seem more like reality than just emotion.

A while back I read the verse "Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless." I thought about the thing I love the most in a sometimes destructive way, and friends it is. Whoever loves friends never has friends enough; whoever loves friendship is never satisfied with his friendships. This too is meaningless.

(Eccl. 5:10)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a tough one because God puts friends in our lives to love on us and we express our love for God by loving others. It's difficult to find that balance and be satisfied solely by God.

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...definitely something to ponder. Thank you for plugging your 'idol' into scripture. It helps me to see my 'idols' more clearly and recognize that they too will never satisfy. Like you, it is often people, and that balance is so hard for me! But I do want to be satisfied in Him alone.

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Cool He is baking this in your heart...am up late on this end and just finished writing a Close Friend about the Importance of Luke 9:57-62. There is certainly a context to the passages, but in ongoing Prayer & Discernment in Him, He Guides His Seeking children into daily balance. Being life-long students of The King is So Exciting though; there is Always So Much to Learn in Him, not for weariness or discouragement, but for the Blessings of Closer Intimacy with G-d. Indeed, He is Cooler than mangoes.

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some women in my small group months ago talked about how you have to be rooted in Jesus first before you can share your life with friends. Because if friends hurt you, as they may, because they are not perfect, you still can forgive and still be fufilled because you are rooted in your relationship with Jesus. Then God gives us the gift of friendship to share the love he has poured into our relationship with Him.

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home