Sunday, October 01, 2006

Rhapsody


I've been playing piano since I was six. My parents gave me the amazing gift of thirteen years of piano lessons. Wow, add up all that money. Now there's an investment. I learned through classical music and pretty much played just that until I was about 18. For the last three to four years I really haven't opened up Beethoven a whole lot.

Recently I decided that I'm also a ballerina at heart. When I get really excited or consumed by something, I crave to express it through graceful and emotional movements. I do want to try to take a class soon, but for now I don't know what I'm doing.

Today I was spending time reading Isaiah and talking to God about where I am with him compared to where I should be. Filled with something...I don't know - emotion, the Spirit, my many thoughts...I just wanted to dance. I wanted to move around gracefully and speak to God about things in that way. But, I didn't feel like finding music, and I didn't know that I would actually last longer than 2 minutes in my lack of expertise.

So, I went to the piano and played the good ol' Brahms Rhapsody that I've had memorized since 8th grade. It was awesome. I haven't played that song with such purpose in years. My brow was furrowed, and I got everything out.

Now I'm the prodigal son to my classical music upbringing. Hopefully I can soon add ballet too.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm all over it, Leah! I'll start looking for ballet classes right now!

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay classical music!

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see you performing ballet. That's an awesome idea. I wanted to remind you that God loves you just as much as any other person...no less.

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! It really is the greatest thing ever. If I couldn't dance like a maniac every once in a while I think I would die! You should definitely do it more often. And with me, because I'm fun!

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is cool. Do you still (or did you ever) like classical music? Jamie doesn't understand why I'd rather see a classical concert than a rock concert but I just think it is so beautiful and fun to compose.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

It's funny, Kris, I like classical music, but I'd rather play it than listen to it. I guess it helps for me to be able to be a part of it.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home