Saturday, August 19, 2006

A film over me

For the last week or so, I've had this dull sadness over the horrible things that happen in the world...horrible things that I have no control over. I think about Uganda, the children being abucted and brainwashed, the women being raped. I read about Sierra Leone and the people who had limbs amputated by cruel rebels. Yesterday I heard a story about some prostitutes here in Riverside that broke my heart. I looked up ministries to prostitutes online and read more sad stories.

All these things happen as a result of things that seem too big and scary for me to confront. I want to rescue these people, but I can't. I can send money and that's about it. I could get involved in politics, but that's definitely not something I know anything about.

I want to go downtown and rescue the prostitutes, but I can't. They're not some elderly lady whose problem is lonliness. That person...I can solve her issue. But, prostitutes have pimps and scary walls to keep me from them.

I know I can pray. And, honestly, I have watched God move in response to the mass of prayers lifted up recently for Uganda. But, many people are praying for Uganda. I don't know of a movement of prayer for the millions of prostitutes around the world, for Haiti, or for the people in Sierra Leone.

When there isn't a movement of prayer for these things, I feel like my prayers are too small. Does anyone out there have any ideas of how to change things...really?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's definetly sad and overwhelming when we sit and think about all that is going on, and what little we can do about it. It gets frustrating. Prayer is my only answer right now. This one baffles me too leah.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel ya. That's why right now I feel like I HAVE TO be a social worker. I have to do something. Remember there are people out there who are trying to help those in our city who really need help. Your career goals are different but your desire is the same. Your prayers are just as important as other people's actions. You can't do everything so try not to get overwhelmed. Still, it's good that you have such a compassionate heart.

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...have asked Him about this question for years & in fact, still ask the question daily. To date, the simplest picture He has put on my heart is one of every person being given a patch-garden-of-Life (area/sphere of steward-influence) to tend to in/with His Love/Truth/Justice/Mercy/ect. Ideally, all would tend to their given garden(Loving G-d & as a result, Loving others) and even share tips with fellow farmers on ways to best treat the land, but... this world is world not as so ~ some farmers have allowed the fruit & soil of their patches to become riddled with compassion eating insects (sin's greed, hate, jealousy, thirst for power, etc.) ...I remember the first time thinking about this picture I said to Him, "oh Father, why not give more land to those who use it for Your Glory"...immediately He reminded of & brought Luke 10:2 to Life. Since then He has given me His Peace to live in the knowledge of the Truth of Luke 10:2, but to continue being Fed Up with injustice ...Fed Up in order not to forget the poor - to Love & Serve Him and the neglected peoples of this world. This comment entry could get real long, but there is another significant piece He keeps on my heart in Him. After reading Proverbs 31:9 once, I thought about something Martin Luther King Jr. once said, "There comes a time when silence is betrayal." Then the word "accountability" tugged at my heart; since then I have been heaven-bent on using "Love" and "Accountability" as close and possible...as to say, it is important for us as christians to keep each other accountable on Loving Him & others; in essence, being Accountable to Him & others. While running His race for us, if the left foot has moved forward but the right foot stays put, the left does not say "I can move the whole body myself," instead it probably says, "hey 'righty,' I love you, but move it - you have responsibilities too - let's get going." Of course we cannot force others to believe or do anything, but I gather if 'righty' stays lazy/selfish/etc...when the Doctor returns to the field, He will have to schedule 'righty' for an amputation. Yet, we would rather have 'righty' join us at the finish line of this season, so we just Love on all for as much time given us. Well Sis, please keep stimulating the hearts & noggins of your siblings to personify His Love in word & deed. Until He Returns, there is Always Room for Improvement.

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home