Wednesday, July 26, 2006

With nothing left over


I'm reminded tonight of how incredibly safe we are in this country. We're safe and we have so much. I see it as a blessing and am thankful for both. But, I don't think that God makes some rich and some poor out of conincidence or favor. I think he expects those who have been given much to spread it around and make others as blessed as we are.

Big task, I know.

I spent a month in Haiti a couple of years ago and really couldn't get my mind around the poverty that I was seeing. I felt guilty for being so rich. A pastor who was on the trip with us showed me 2 Corinthians chapters 8 and 9. It speaks of being generous and sowing generously.

"Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality. At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need. Then there will be equality, as it is written: 'He who gathered much did not have too much, and he who gathered little did not have too little.' "

In The Message, the last part is translated: "Nothing left over to the one with the most, Nothing lacking to the one with the least."

I'm pretty sure I'm in the "most" category. I'm pretty sure you are too. Wouldn't that be cool if we went to heaven with nothing left over?

When God blesses us and we say to ourselves, "Wow, God has really provided this month. He has so blessed me!" let that be the signal that we have the opportunity to spread out the wealth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home