Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The ceiling

When we first arrived in London, I thought to myself, I bet these people take for granted all the amazing things they have around them...the history, the beautiful things, the beautiful parks...Well, in only 7 days, we are beginning to be desensitized too. It is crazy. By now we are more interested in the people than the old things we are seeing. We are in Venice now. Everything seems like a storybook or a movie. It is hard to believe that these people are real and that they really live their everyday lives here. I think I still do not believe it.

Yesterday we saw the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican. It was amazing. It was only cool because we took a while beforehand to read through our book and understand some of the history behind it. It took Michaelangelo 4 years to complete it. It is huge. Reading the history behind it shows me that it was very much an expressive piece for him. He started it, did half of it, took a 23 year long break, and did the rest of it with a different view on life. The Last Judgement is the back wall. His perspective on life and god had changed from when he started it. It is much more reflective. You can tell that Michaelangelo was really thinking about what he was painting. It was amazing. Again, hard to believe it really exists even when I am looking directly at it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home